Your Wedding Transportation Checklist
Details, details, details! When planning a wedding, it is easy to feel like you are drowning in details because there are so many little things to decide, keep track of, and coordinate. As overwhelming as it seems, taking care of all those little details does make a big difference on the wedding day. Using to-do lists is a great way to stay organized and on top of the many things that need to get done. There are some resources for good to do lists from books to websites. Your wedding planner can provide you with or recommend good lists that fit your style. To help you get started, here is a list for planning your wedding transportation.
To Do: Wedding Transportation
- Plan or book wedding day transportation for the couple, wedding party, and immediate family to the ceremony, reception, and any additional picture locations.
- Arrange or book transportation for the wedding party and immediate family after the reception.
- If using a transportation service, sign the contract and send it in with the deposit.
- Notify the transportation company if there are any parking restrictions at the wedding or reception sites.
- Specify arrival and departure times for all transportation and notify the appropriate companies, drivers, and guests of the schedule.
- Make plans for someone to drive the bride and groom’s vehicles home if necessary.
- If desired, plan to have a shuttle service take guests from the hotel to the wedding and back again.
- Arrange or book honeymoon transportation to and from the airport or other destination.
- Provide all drivers with addresses, directions, and contact numbers.
- Confirm all arrangements before the wedding day.
- Pay the balance due to any transportation companies.
- Put cash to tip the drivers in marked envelopes.
- Give the envelopes to the individual responsible for giving the tips to the drivers.
- If using the bride and groom’s cars on the wedding day, fill them with gas beforehand.
Planning Tips for Transportation
There are many choices when considering a transportation service for your wedding day. Choose a vehicle that fits well with your overall vision of the day. A limousine is a classic option, but there are many others as well, including a vintage car, a helicopter, a balloon ride, the tram, a horse-drawn carriage, or a particular kind of limousine like a Hummer limo, an Escalade limo, or a limo party bus. No matter what type of vehicle you decide on, be sure to inspect the vehicles your group will be using before hiring the transportation service.
Request shots on your photography request form of your arrival and stepping out of the vehicle, as well as a picture of you and your groom inside. Let the wedding party know beforehand if there are any restrictions related to decorating the getaway vehicle. If you are using a rented car, make sure you discuss this with your transportation service so that you are clear on their policies.
Questions to Ask About Transportation
- What are my vehicle options?
- How many people can comfortably ride in the car?
- What is the minimum number of hours?
- What is the rate?
- Does the price include gratuity?
- Are there any amenities included?
- How many hours are covered by the rate?
- For hourly rates, does the clock start when the driver leaves or after picking up the passengers?
- Are there any additional fees, like a gas surcharge?
- Are food and drink permitted in the vehicle?
- Is alcohol allowed in the vehicle?
Planning Transportation with Your Wedding Coordinator
The above lists will help as you prepare transportation for your wedding day. Of course, each wedding is unique, and your needs will be different than other couples, so make the lists your own. If you are feeling overwhelmed by all the details of transportation and wedding planning, consider hiring a wedding coordinator. Your professional wedding planner will cut the stress of wedding planning and help you stay organized and on top of the many details so that you can enjoy the wedding of your dreams. Working with a wedding coordinator lets you relax and delight in the process, and allows you to feel like a guest at your own wedding.